Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Orange cake recipe....and cheese dip


Doesn't sound like a good combination does it? Any way here are the recipes from last night. I found the recipe for the cake on line...I don't remember where though. I used 2 oranges to get the grated peel that I needed.



FRESH ORANGE CAKE

1/3 c. butter
1/3 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. grated orange rind
3 eggs
2 1/2 c. sifted cake flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 c. orange juice, fresh

Cream butter, sugar, shortening and orange rind. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice.
Pour batter into 3 greased and lined 9 inch round cake pans. Bake at 350º for 25 minutes. Fill layers with orange filling. Note: Use only fresh orange juice.


ORANGE FILLING:

2/3 c. sugar
3 tbsp. flour
1 c. orange juice
2 egg yolks, beaten
2 tbsp. butter

Mix sugar and flour in saucepan, add orange juice and egg yolks. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook for 1 minute. Add butter, stir well. Cool before using. Fill layers of cake with filling.


ORANGE BUTTER CREAM FROSTING:

8 tablespoons butter
4 cup confectioners sugar
4 tablespoon milk or water
4 tablespoon orange juice and a little grated rind

Cream butter and sugar well, add the flavoring and liquid until mixture is smooth.



Cheese Dip

(Ingrid gave me this recipe after one of our first loopy ewe meetings)

Layer a baking dish with :
8 oz of cream cheese
jar of salsa
package of shredded Mexican cheese

Bake at 350º for 30 minutes.

take care,
Dawn

3 comments:

Loopy Ewes said...

Hi Dawn...you got to the blog first...BUT, I wanted to give you a big, BIG thank you for my party last night. I only with Ingrid was there to share it!!!! I hate to be a party piggy...it IS closer to Ingrids birthday! The cake was amazing...confirmed by Don this morning and I just can't wait to get chopping! Perhaps we will have cuccmber appetizers tonight!!!!! Or just a beautiful ridged cucumber salad with dinner. Oh, the possibilities are endless...
I only wish I had room for the Sundaes last night!
AND...Kathleen, the notebook is way too cute to use. I can see I need mounting lessons!!!! Hope Livia has recovered and is ready to try again...
dawnelle

Loopy Ewes said...

Dawn - Thanks so much for posting the recipes! Your orange cake was spectacular! The dip was so cheesy and yummy - I wish I had some right now! I'm really sorry that I had to leave the festivities early, but I hope you all had lots of fun after I left (and didn't talk about me too much :-)! ) L was very happy to see me and glad to be in her own bed for the night!

I can't wait to find an occasion to make that cake! Hope you are all having a good day, despite this rainy weather!

Kathleen

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy!!!