Monday, July 9, 2007

Apple Hat, Part 2

I guess it's good when the adrenaline kicks in and you end up burning the midnight oil to finish a project like I did with Apple Hat #1. I was knitting the leaves for hat #2 and realized that I created a design feature without that intention on the first hat. ;-) Look at the difference between the first leaf on the left that I knit according to my interpretation, and the leaf on the right, knitted the way the pattern intended:


The leaf on the left is from Apple Hat 1 and it's smaller than the leaf that I knit following the actual instructions for Apple Hat 2. The instructions for the leaf part of the hat, read as follows:

Leaves (make two of these)
With green cast on 3 sts and work two rows in garter st

Continue in garter st increase at each end of next and following alt row (7sts)

Work 5 rows straight decrease 1 st at each end of next and following alt rows (3 sts)

Next Row: sl1, k2tog, psso and fasten off

Sew leaves to hat at stem base

So what I ended up doing the first time around is I increased 1 stitch at the end of each row instead of at both ends of each row until I had 7 stitches. Then I decreased 1 stitch and the end of each row instead of at both ends until I had 3 stitches. The result is a smaller leaf. I made the stem shorter too on the first hat, which just goes to show me that I cannot rely on my brain in the wee hours of the morning.

Here are the two hats side by side. ( Apple Hat 1 on the bottom, Apple Hat 2 on the top) Looking on here, it's a little difficult to appreciate the difference, but it's there and the difference is much easier to see in person. I'm sending the hat with the little leaves off tomorrow, so this is the best comparison I can give you.



And here's the finished Apple Hat 2:




I guess you have the directions for smaller leaves if you want them! :-)

In other news, my girl made a picture for the group and I promised to post it, so here it is:


Isn't it cute? :-)

3 comments:

Loopy Ewes said...

They are both adorable!! I will try to get my hat under way so that this week when we meet I can use whatever tips you may have!!!! Very inpressive Kathleen...better than an eggplant?
Dawnelle

Dawn said...

I typed a reply a while ago and it got lost in cyberspace somewhere!

I think the hat you made (#1) looked great. You have to love when a design features looks as good as yours :)

Oh and tell Miss Livia that her loopy ewe looks fantastic. She's quite the artist!

take care,
Dawn

ingrid said...

First of all - I love the drawing! Tell Livia that Shauna loves to draw and anytime she wants to come over during our get togethers, Shauna would be more than happy to play artist with her :)
The hat is super cute. Congrats on getting it done!