Thursday, May 21, 2009

Wednesday Recap - To Blog or Not to Blog?


It was fun to get together last night, as it always is.  Yummy food all around, and the conversation ran the gamut of different topics.  We did get into a bit of Loopy Ewe business during a discussion about the swap and the blog.  A couple of the highlights from the meeting:

  • Think to yourself, "Self, do I really want to swap or not?"  It's not mandatory, and it's supposed to be fun!
  • For the blog to exist, it needs posting and feedback.  Do we want to support the blog in this manner or let it go?
  • Kathleen is a very bad dog mommy
  • Wendy wants to knit a mustache.  Kari wants to graph her own. ;-)
  • DL is trying not to overheat before she finishes that big blanket. 
  • Ingrid is a proud supporter of shih tsu polygamy ;-)
  • Judi has seen some scary examples of wildlife . . . (well, you know)
  • We missed you, Dawn!  
Now back to the swap.  Last night, the idea of knitting tawashi was brought up, and that seemed to spark some interest.  There's info about it here.  There has already been some feedback to that post, and I really appreciate it.  We've had one request for the swap to be due after school lets out, so maybe we can tentatively schedule a due date for the end of June.

In other news, Apple and I went to the vet this morning, who said that it looks like her eye will make a full recovery.  Yay!

And last, but not least, here is the recipe for the dip I made last night.

Mexican Layered Dip, Black Bean Style
1 onion, small dice
1 red pepper, small dice
3/4 cup - 1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
2 pkgs guacasalsa or guacamole
Tabasco
1 cup light sour cream
1 lime, juiced
3/4 - 1 cup shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
1 handful cilantro, chopped 

Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add onion and pepper and saute until tender.  Add cumin, coriander, corn and beans and saute until the corn has thawed and the ingredients have melded.  Add 2-3 drops of Tabasco sauce or to taste and season with a pinch of salt. Remove the skillet from the heat and pour the mixture into a bowl to cool.  Add the juice of half the lime and half of the cilantro.  Set aside.  Mix remaining lime juice with sour cream and set aside.  When beans have cooled, spread them in an even layer in the bottom of a shallow dish.  Top with guacasalsa, spreading evenly to edges.  Top with lime flavored sour cream, and spread evenly over guacasalsa.  Sprinkle cheddar cheese next and top with chopped tomatoes and remaining cilantro.  Serve with tortilla chips.

* I've been thinking about the watery business and that may have been due to the lime juice in the sour cream.  I also thought after the fact that maybe I should have strained the sour cream to get the excess liquid out.  This recipe is a work in progress I guess, but this is how I made it yesterday.

Have a nice long weekend, Loopies!  Happy Knitting!


5 comments:

Wendy said...

Thanks for the great recap, Kathleen. That's great news about Apple. :)

Dawn said...

I hope lots of tears were shed over me not being there last night! ☺

I also like the wishy washy fishy thing!

take care,
Dawn

Loopy Ewes said...

Nice recap, K. I love the wwf, but it looks tough. Maybe we could have a knit along sometime, too. I see by the schedule that I am hostess next week, but I have to get up at 5:15 the next morning to go to Worcester.Would anyone want to switch with me? I can do the following week. Let me know if that would work. Judi

Dawn said...

Great recap You did forget to mention your amazing pomatamus socks Kathleen. ...I am really excited about Mr. Wishy Washy!! I don't know how I missed that on the post!
I would be happy to host next week. It would work out well for me!!!
DL

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great recap Kathleen!
here are my thoughts on what you posted...

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your recipe! The dip was very, very yummy and I know I'll be making it for future camping trips :)

Swaps - yep, I'm game. I really like the WWFT thingy. I think that the swaps are good for our group. I'll be the first to admit that sometimes, when we start a swap, I think "ugh... how am I ever going to do this, I'm too busy, I don't feel like it," etc. but once we get going, it really is fun. (though I have to say that DawnK, if it wasn't for you.... ;)

I love the blog and agree that the blog does need some posting and feedback. Like I said during our last meeting, I have no interest, whatsoever, in taking over the blog. (hanging head in shame, but if the choice was me taking over the blog or the blog dying, well than bummer. I guess we're done) It's a lot of work and takes someone who can really keep it going. DawnK did a fantastic job while she did the recaps and I really appreciated what a great job she did. Kathleen is doing a fantastic job now, but I can so see not wanting to do it if there is limited feed back or comments.

I don't want to see it end, and while I know we all appreciate it being there, we need to show our appreciation by giving feedback/posting if we want it to continue.

DawnL, your blanket is beautiful! You are a knitting machine! :)

Wendy and Kari, you don't need a mustache LOL!

Yes, I admit, I am a proud supporter of shih tzu polygamy! In fact, we cut our vacation short to accomodate the "group" Oh my.... what can I say. Bella, you rock. Sophie, not so much..... yet.

and last, but not least,
DawnK, knitting is NEVER, EVER, EVER, the same without you. We missed you tons!

Hope you all had a great Memorial Day weekend.
sorry for the rant.