Tuesday, June 24, 2008

This is Screwie



It's actually a baseball that was knit from a pattern called Spherey, or rather Poor Man's Spherey. My nephew named it "Screwie" after the talking baseball in the movie, Everyone's Hero.

Spherey caught my eye a few months ago, and a few weeks ago I decided to print out the pattern. That's when things got really screwy. To my dismay, I discovered that the pattern is not available anymore. It was released in a booklet called Unusual Toys to Knit and Enjoy by Jess Hutchison. The booklet is no longer in print, and it is impossible to find. After a frantic search on the internet, I found a pattern by Grace Schnebly called Poor Man's Spherey on the KathrynIvy blog. Thank you Grace! I was able to knit this little guy for my nephew's birthday and he was very well-received. (Once I get an idea in my head, I have to see it through!) The pattern calls for the head to have arms and legs, but after looking into his smiling face, I couldn't picture him with limbs, so he's just a round little baseball.

This little experience just goes to show me that I can't always knit what I want. :-P I was lucky that I was able to find a pattern that looks like the original.

Looking forward to seeing all of you Loopy Ewes tomorrow!

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I love it! It's as cute as can be!!! You certainly didn't strike out with that project LOL!

See you tomorrow.

take care,
Dawn K

Anonymous said...

i want to squeeze screwy!!!
DL

Loopy Ewes said...

K-what a cute project. Are ya gonna share that pattern? (Not that I could ever do it...) Judi